Monday 17 September 2007

Leicester Mercury get the story



COMBER STARS FOR ENGLAND


10:30 - 15 September 2007


Michael Comber came away from the September international races with a damaged kart, the lap record and the Driver of the Tournament award.


In his first senior international meeting near Sunderland, the youngster dubbed Leicestershire's Lewis Hamilton twice broke the circuit lap record to help England to victory against the other home nations.


Comber, who finished third and fourth, said: "I was so proud to represent England again and make such a significant contribution."The national team manager, Martin Capenhurst, was the person who started my race career."So I am pleased that both last year, when I helped England win the junior title, and this, I have repaid him for his help."Apart from GP1 single-seaters, this is the only time I can drive for my country."So I am proud to have been in the winning team twice, and look forward to the meeting in 2008.''


In timed qualifying, Comber, who is supported by Bond Street Saab and his sponsors Andrew Granger and Co, beat the lap record of 54.4 seconds by three-tenths of a second to gain pole for the heats.In the last race Comber's axle, bumper and race suit were damaged.Comber restarted with the assistance of the track officials and completed a final lap to a standing ovation from the English supporters.


Capenhurst said: "While there were no individual trophies, I and the other selectors chose Mike Comber as team driver for his pace and skill to win two heats but also his unselfish team work to assist the team in the finals."

No comments: